Monday, February 7, 2011

Elevated HR Solutions: Social Media Policy Anyone?

UPDATE: Read Gowlings opinion on the latest Facebook Termination: http://bit.ly/fjqf63

"So, this whole social media thing isn't going away is it?" 

I smiled at the question and shook my head softly.  A potential client and I just sat down to a coffee when he noticed an individual with their lap top open next to him, clearly engaging in a Twitter conversation and flipping back and forth to Facebook.  "No sir, it definitely is not."

"Did you see our Facebook page?" he asked.  "Of course I did. I wanted to learn as much as I could about you and your company."  "Really?" he laughed, "Would you believe I haven't even seen our Facebook page?" I was slightly taken aback, "Really? Why not?" "Because I thought the whole thing was kind of stupid."  I smiled.  This again, was not the first time I had heard this story.

"Who's writing your material for you?" I asked. "A couple of the employees came to me with the idea. I said I wanted nothing to do with it, but they could do whatever,"  he said. I sat back, and must have had a concerned look on my face. "I take it that's probably not a good idea?" he asked.  "Well - it's not that you have to be involved, but these people are speaking on your behalf. Are you sure their thoughts are consistent with yours? Facebook and Twitter are pretty powerful tools if used right.  Your employees could also completely wreck your brand if you don't set out the right parameters."

"So you're saying I should be more involved?"

"I think so, yes.  At the very least, perhaps draw up a social media policy and give your employees parameters to work within.  Once they know the rules, you are protecting not only them but your company and hopefully your brand.  The policies don't need to be super strict and I have an easy way of sorting out what's best for you and your company.  The policy doesn't need to stay static - it can be a living document.  I just think we need to do what's right for you and your company right now."

Does your company have a social media policy? If not...now's your chance to build one...for FREE!
FEBRUARY SPECIAL:  I'm a Valentine's Day sucker (even though it's about as commercial of a holiday as one can possibly get) and as such, I'm offering a Valentine's Day Special:  The Development of a Social Media Policy for any small to medium sized businesses in the month of February (completely customized to your management style and type of company).  The best part: It's FREE!

Even if you aren't engaging in an actual strategy for your company, your employees are. This is a simple way for you to protect your company, protect your brand and protect your employees.  Email me at info@elevatedhr.com for more information!

No comments:

Post a Comment