Thursday, December 2, 2010

Lessons learned from a coffee shop

The other day I was in a coffee shop talking to a friend about a presentation I was about to make.  While we are never quiet when we are together, I didn't think our volume was out of the norm either.  An...ummm...more "mature" gentleman was sharing one of the few plug-ins (for our laptops) and was sitting closer than I prefer to have strangers sitting next to me, so I knew I was being even more extra cautious of our volume.  As we were wrapping up our discussion, in a gruff voice, he says, "Are you one of them HR ladies? Cause you sound like you're an HR lady."  I smiled politely and said, "Well I help companies with their HR, yes."  What he said next...well let's just say, I wasn't exactly prepared for it.

"I hate HR people. This little know it all, pulled me into a boardroom and said I was done.  I worked for that company for 22 years and just like that, I was done.  Stupid.  I mean, they think that Gen Y has all the answers, but who's going to teach them. I'm the only one that knew how to do anything.  Guess I should have seen it coming. They'd been asking me all these questions and really, until the last day, I didn't really understand it.  I just kept giving them answers over and over again.  Now I guess they were just raping me. I hate HR people."

Blank stare. What else was I supposed to do?  I rummaged for my keys, put away my lap top and quietly said, "I'm sorry."

"Sorry? Ahh, don't be sorry.  Now I get to play the stock market all day.  I should have quit years ago. I hated my job.  I was just there for the pension - which HR totally screwed up on. Changed it and didn't really explain it.  Left me almost near penniless.  Good thing I'm good with these computers.  I get to do what I love, and it turns out I'm pretty good at it."

Blank stare. "That's good," I somewhat mumbled.

"Yup - I can definitely tell you're in HR."

Blank stare. This meant he hated me without knowing me. "How's that?" I asked meekly, preparing myself for something awful.

"You were doing a presentation on recruitment, right? You don't have to be a brain surgeon to figure that out!"

I left...in awe.  But I did learn a lesson - staying in a role until someone tells you it's time to be done isn't worth it, unless you love doing it.  Then they may as well take you out on a stretcher!  But otherwise - if you're not long for the job, chances are, no one is long for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment