Monday, December 13, 2010

Elevated HR Solutions: Things you should do if you're looking for a job

Typically, my blog is geared towards management teams and helping them to manage without having to have an HR department on their team when it comes to employee support.  But today - after a week of recruiting for one of my clients, I feel I need to do a special PSA to help those that are looking for a job...

In no particular order here are a few of my pet peeves:

1.) If you customize your resume to each job you're applying for (which I recommend) be sure to edit it and get the company / position right.  Nothing looks worse than you saying how excited you are to see a posting from Company ABC when really, you're applying to Company XYZ.

2.) Write down the jobs you're applying for.  When I call you for a phone interview I shouldn't be the one reminding you of the position you applied for and when.  Nothing says "I'm desperate and I'll apply to anything," like "Oh, um, can you remind me the position you're phoning about? Which website was it posted on?"

3.) If you're applying for a position be sure to look at your current facebook profile picture and/or security settings. While WHAT you look like isn't what is being judged, your choice of picture depicting WHO you are IS. One of my applicants was sitting on a toilet (outdoors), pants down etc.  While a hilarious picture, it was a judgment call I wasn't comfortable with.  Another one put up a December nude male calendar pin-up.  Again - what you do on your time is totally up to you.  But you're applying for a job.  Your choices are being judged. (PS - It's confirmed they are them, because they also leave their profiles quite wide open including city and graduation dates).

Yes - technically - recruiters are not to discriminate based on a picture. Pictures do not determine if a person can do a job or not.  Nor do resumes tell a complete story.  But I've got one position I'm recruiting for, and have close to 100 applicants.  It's pretty entry level so everyone brings the same skill set.  I need to start eliminating somehow - this is an easy first choice. Is it right? It doesn't matter.

If I can find you - make sure you make a good first impression.

2 comments:

  1. Always send ONE document that includes your cover letter – this is more work on your part, but shows the potential employer that you are willing to spend the time, as well that you are detailed orientated – nothing drives me crazier than a person who sends a separate cover letter, thus making it my responsibility to make sure the two stay together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I myself am not a fan of the cover letter in general. If you're going to add one, just put it in the email! But I agree Scott, the easier you make it for the recruiter the better!

    ReplyDelete