Monday, September 6, 2010

Is there a definition of leadership?

During the last few years as a senior manager for multiple organizations, I have been evaluating my opinion of what a leader is versus what a leader isn't to help me build my own leadership style.  If you go online, there are about a million different definitions of leadership.  Some have the same meaning and just use different words.  One commonality however, is that most definitions are very generic -- but  I have found that generalizations about leadership didn't help me very much.  In order for me to understand how to lead and why to lead and what it even means to lead, I needed to be clear on what actually embodied leadership.

Over three years ago now, I was looking for a change in my life -- ultimately I needed to take a leadership role IN and FOR my life.  I had worked so hard to be taken seriously and respected as a young executive, that I forgot who I was. Instead, most of my actions were for everyone but myself.  In July of 2007, I attended a course called 21st Century Leadership which was situated in Dumas Bay (just outside of Seattle), Washington.  Not knowing what I was walking into, I had one goal in mind - to become the leader I always thought I was.  But the operative word was "thought".  Not that what I "thought" was technically wrong -- it just wasn't congruent with my behaviors, which means it wasn't practical to implement.  And congruency in my mind, is what truly makes a leader.  The ability to influence self and others in a productive, goal-driven direction done through example, conviction and character.

I believe that true leaders lead for the joy of creating something bigger than themselves.  If you would like to learn more about leadership or would like your employees to be empowered to learn more about leadership, 21st Century Leadership is a ground-breaking, innovative course that will demonstrate congruent self-expression that creates value (for not only others, but oneself as well).  Contact me at michelleb@elevatedhr.com for more information, including the next opportunity to take part!  The investment in yourself or your employees will be well worth the return!

http://www.elevatedhr.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment