Friday, November 12, 2010

Elevated HR: A new approach to HR

As I sit an hour early for a flight and watch the disappointed passengers of a cancelled flight to Thompson, Manitoba due to weather, I pause silently and give thanks that I am going to a much more weather predictable city…cough…Calgary. Time to reflect.  Time to ponder. Time to think. It’s been a while. 
This new venture as an entrepreneur has had so many ups and downs in such a short time. That said the ups have definitely outweighed the downs.  I know that I wouldn’t be sitting writing this blog if they hadn’t.  I’d be solely concentrating on finding a job – any job that was good for the soul.
This past week has taken me into a direction that could not have been predicted.  Friendships of more than 15 years appeared at my door early Saturday morning.  For the first time in a long time, I engaged in conversation where I didn’t have to be on the top of my game and “sell” my service.  And yet something funny happened – I couldn’t stop talking about Elevated HR.  The passion continues to climb – it’s in my bones, it’s in my blood – it’s who I am, it’s what I want to be. It’s me – authentic and real. 
Back up only 12 hours prior to their arrival… on Friday, I had a pitch to a potential new client (fingers are crossed) following up with a debrief with a potential new partner.  I found myself getting emotional at times, describing the weird journey I’ve been on in the last 12 weeks.  And then he asked me “Why are you doing this? You could probably make a lot more as an executive in a company.”  Without hesitation I responded, “Because it’s the right thing to do.” It’s the right thing for me, but more importantly I believe it’s the right thing for organizations. I know this is a service that can be used by the thousands of small to medium sized businesses out there – and it’s scalable…and…it’s just RIGHT.
Look – I know that the whole Human Resources function has a bad reputation. Even I tend to cringe when I tell people what I do (knowing I have only 17 seconds to convince them that I’m not your “typical” HR person). As someone who has been there (and done that), an HR rep typically cares about people and wants to genuinely help.  But occasionally we get caught…we get caught in black and white and forget that the gray is what we actually need to be looking at.  We get thinking that one answer fits all – like one size fits all.  But people are not cut from the same cookie cutter – so a cookie cutter approach simply doesn’t work. An HR representative has to look at all sides of the equation – and then, needs to understand business and the business goals/objectives.  Forgetting that – is simply put – an HR fail.
So going back to what I do and why I do it – because it’s the right thing to do…
Organizations have different goals. Organizations have different wants and needs when it comes to their employees. But management teams need support that protects, saves time and saves money when it comes to their employees.  Most business owners didn’t start their own business for the sake of managing employees.  But employees are necessary to grow and expand.  Employees are truly amazing assets and also their greatest liabilities.  My goal is to help organizations manage. Easier. Faster. Confidently. And of course, affordably. 
I created Elevated HR because I believe it’s time for a new way of doing HR.  If you have employees – or need to grow your business by hiring employees – I can help.  And I guarantee to provide a real return on investment – if I don’t, you’re not charged a dime. 
That’s the Elevated HR guarantee.

http://www.elevatedhr.com/

1 comment:

  1. This is great Michelle! I definitely agree that there is a great need for innovation in the HR industry!

    I can't wait to hear of your successes.

    Cheers,
    Elka

    ReplyDelete